The Great New Zealand Bread Bake Off 2019 Entries now open!
Bake with the Best.
The Farmers Mill Great NZ Bread Bake Off - ENTRIES CLOSE 8TH OCTOBER 2019
The Farmers Mill great New Zealand bread Bake Off recognises the importance of breads and baking in New Zealand daily cuisine and looks to reward bakers for their passion, creativity and skill via our annual bread baking competition. Since 2013 Farmers Mill have operated New Zealands' only grower owned and operated flour mill in Washdyke, South Canterbury. Our people are passionate about the wheat they grow and mill and love seeing the breads that bakers craft from their 100% NZ grown and milled wheat flours.
This year to make things easier for our valued bakers and bakeries throughout New Zealand we are only running the STATIC portion of the competition (no live bake-off this year) - so all you need to do is create, bake and courier your best bread(s) to Christchurch for Judging before competition closing time 10:00am on Thursday 10 October (we recomend to courier so your bread arrives the day prior to judging).
Farmers Mill invite the Best Bakers in New Zealand to Bake their best and bring it to the table for judging! Entry details below.
Winners are well rewarded for their efforts with winning entries in 'each of seven International Bread Categories' receiving a grand prize of a Pallet of Farmers Mill SUMMIT Flour (seven pallets of Farmers Mill Summit Flour to be won) with certificates awarded for all Gold, Silver and Bronze winners.
Key dates for the 2019 competition.
- Monday 02 September - Entries Open Online.
- Wednesday 09 October - Target delivery window for entries - couriers accepted between 9:00am and 5:00pm Wednesday 9th and up to10:00am Thursday 10th.
Bread can also be hand deleivered between 8am and 9am on the 10th.
- Thursday 10 October: 10:00am - Static Competition judging commences.
- Thursday 10 October: 3:30 through 5:30pm - Canapés, refreshments at Visions On Campus. Entries Open for Viewing.
- Monday 14 October- Bake Off event winners announced.
How to enter
Static Bake Off
Contestants (Bakers) can choose to submit a bread from any (or all) of the following SEVEN International Bread Categories:
France, Italy, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, Holland and Switzerland and courier their best bread(s) to:
The Great NZ Bread Bake Off
VISIONS ON CAMPUS RESTAURANT
ARA CITY CAMPUS
CNR FERRY RD & ASAPH ST
CHRISTCHURCH CENTRAL 8011
International Bread Categories
You may enter a bread into each of the following seven International categories (total max seven entries / seven breads). Only one entry (one bread) per category is permitted. Contestants must work for a commercial bakery.
All Breads entered in the Static Bake-off must meet the following criteria:
Denmark - Rye Bread (Rugbrød) Brief: Present 1 Danish style Rye loaf with a maximum weight of 800g.
France - Baguette. Brief: Present 1 French style Baguette with a maximum weight of 400g.
Germany - Pretzels (Brezel). Brief: Present 6 items using a laugen (lye) dip. Produce 3 traditional pretzels and 3 of one other shape of your choice, a maximum weight of 150g each.
Holland - Stollen. Brief: Present 1 Dutch style Stollen with a maximum weight of 800g.
Italy - Ciabatta. Brief: Present 1 Italian style Ciabatta with a maximum weight of 700g.
New Zealand - Rewena bread. Brief: Present 1 NZ style Rewena loaf with a maximum weight of 700g.
Switzerland - Zopf. Brief: Present 1 Swiss-style Zopf loaf with a maximum weight of 700g.
1. Fill out the online entry form to acknowledge your entry status.
2. After entering your base details online you will be sent an email notification containing a link to the PDF entry form (which you will be required to print).
3. Download, Complete and ATTACH A SEPARATE ENTRY FOR FOR EACH BREAD YOU ARE ENTERING.
4. Courier your Breads and accomanying Entry Form to ARA Institute City Campus - ideally your bread will arrive between 09:00 am and 5:00pm Wednesday 09 October and no later than 10:00 am Thursday 10 October.
5. Winners will be announced by email and online Monday 14 October
THE FARMERS MILL APPOINTED EXPERT JUDGING PANEL LOOK FORWARD TO RECEIVING AND AWARDING THE BEST BREADS IN NEW ZEALAND.
Your bread will be reviewed by a panel of industry experts. Judging criteria for both stages will include a number of factors, such as flavour, crust colour, structure/crumb, shaping/moulding, volume/general appearance, technical difficulty, originality and aroma.
Terms & Conditions
All winners receive:
- A signed certificate (Gold, Silver, Bronze).
- Industry recognition.
- Media coverage in SLICE Magazine.
The winner of each category will receive a pallet of Farmers Mill Summit Flour. Additionally, an overall winner will be selected for the Static Competition and they will receive the International Bread Trophy. If entered in more than one category, a contestant is eligible to win more than one prize.